Decline in Student Attendance Challenges Administration

Amy Manzanares
COLUMBIA, MARYLAND, FEBRUARY 23, 2024 — Junior Autumn Wilkerson receives her late pass after scanning her Synergy QR code. According to administration, having students sign in with their QR codes provides more accurate data on student attendance.

After the Covid-19 pandemic, administration has implemented new policies in response to a decline in student attendance.

According to the Maryland State Department of Education, 37% of Wilde Lake students were absent for 18 days of the 2022-23 school year. A student who misses 18 days of school or more is considered chronically absent, according to the Howard County Public School System (HCPSS).

This data reflects nationwide trends, as the U.S. Department of Education reports that more than 20% of high school students have 15 or more absences in a school year throughout the country. 

Ms. Leonard says the impact of absenteeism on students is apparent. “There are patterns of students getting accustomed to not coming to the building every day [post Covid-19], and we continue to see the impact of that on student attendance.”

There is no single solution to this problem. However, in December, a step was taken to collect more accurate data on student attendance and tardiness. Wilde Lake implemented a sign in kiosk for late students.

Students who are late to school wait in line to scan their Synergy QR code before going to class. The QR code system replaced the old late system, where teachers would individually sign students in. Administration and teachers now know exactly what time students are checking into school.

While more accurate data is being collected through the new late system, chronic absenteeism continues. Junior Molly Eagan has over 15 absences for the 2023-24 school year. 

Although Molly has been absent for 10% of the school year, she is often able to complete the work she misses. However, Molly says she does not understand the content she has missed in class. According to Molly, being absent has affected her ability to learn and master the curriculum of her classes. 

“I’m not in the classroom to learn the content, which makes it harder to understand exactly what the teacher wants and what I’m supposed to be doing,” she said. 

Students like Molly are missing out on their daily education. According to HCPSS, daily attendance is “essential to student achievement.”

Social Studies teacher Ms. Katherine Volpe says some students believe they can pass a class by doing the work. However, Ms. Volpe says they are missing important instruction by being absent, which hurts the students’ growth. 

“They are missing their classmates’ conversations, they are missing teacher instruction, and they are missing the teacher answering clarifying questions,” Ms. Volpe said. “Teachers cannot provide that instruction if you’re not in class.”

When students are frequently absent, teachers are forced to make decisions that go beyond HCPSS policy, which states that students are only allowed to receive credit for missed work when their absence is excused.

Despite the policy, Physics teacher Ms. Kristin Cooper allows students to make up work from unexcused absences. 

“I would rather students learn something than get a zero, so I let them make up the work they missed,” she said.

Because Ms. Cooper chooses to allow students to make up work, she says she can get frustrated when she has to sacrifice her own time to help those students. 

Teachers differ in their decisions to award credit for unexcused absences. Spanish teacher Ms. Sweitzer says she understands some students are not able to be present in school because of family demands. However, following HCPSS policy, students in her class are only allowed to make up assignments if their absence is excused. If the absence is unexcused, the grade is a zero. 

“[The county] needs to set clear expectations and clear consequences,” said Ms. Sweitzer about the HCPSS makeup work policy. “They have to make it clear with the students, the teachers, and the parents.” 

Ms. Leonard acknowledges that missing school is not always a choice for all students. “We know that there are life factors that impact student attendance [such as] dealing with mental health concerns, having to take care of a younger sibling or an elder, and having other family responsibilities at home,” she said. 

It is still important for these students to find a way to get to school, as Ms. Leonard says that student attendance has a direct correlation with student achievement.

“Credit and grades are a reflection of mastery of the curriculum standards,” she said. “The natural consequence of not coming to school is not getting access to the education, not being able to make up work, and having grades that don’t reflect a student’s actual ability,” said Ms. Leonard.

To try to fix this complicated issue, Ms. Leonard says Wilde Lake connects students struggling to get to school with helpful resources such as school-based mental health services, the wellness center, and the teen parenting program. 

As chronic absenteeism continues, the school attendance committee works to examine student attendance patterns and provide interventions for struggling students, according to Ms. Leonard. 

“We really want to intervene against the barriers students who are struggling to [get to school are facing], so we can make sure everybody has all the resources that they need and deserve,” she said.