Ms. Leonard Takes Group of Seniors on Goal Setting Field Trip

Ms. Leonard
COLUMBIA, MARYLAND, February 29, 2024 — Ms. Leonard and Angel Castro take a picture as he walks across the Merriweather stage.

Forty-four Wilde Lake seniors were taken to Merriweather Post Pavilion for a goal setting field trip and a paid lunch, hosted by Principal Ms. Marcy Leonard on February 28th.

The students were invited with the purpose of setting goals for the second semester to help them prepare for the upcoming graduation in May.

With Ms. Leonard as principal, Wilde Lake’s graduation rate has increased from 84% to 92% from 2019 to 2023, according to the Maryland State Department of Education.

During the field trip, Ms. Leonard gave the students the opportunity to practice walking across the Merriweather stage as they would at graduation. The students and Ms. Leonard then went out to lunch at Busboys and Poets. At lunch, students discussed their proof of paths, post graduation goals, and future plans.

According to assistant principal Mr. Matthew Sillers, the field trip was designed to help students visualize the potential they have post graduation.

“We watched the students smile and watched them realize that they have the potential to [be successful],” said Mr. Sillers. “No matter some of the struggles and hardships that these students face, there is light at the end of the tunnel and graduation is near.”

Senior Izehl Battle saw his own potential when he walked across the stage during the field trip, saying it was a special feeling. “It was surreal to be on the graduation stage and it felt great overall,” he said.

After students like Marlyon Tomlin experienced what it was like to walk across the graduation stage, they were inspired to work harder in school. “The trip was inspiring, engaging, and motivated me to do better in school,” said Marlyon.

Mr. Sillers says the field trip’s purpose was to help these students envision themselves living successful lives. The first step is walking across the stage in May.

“[The field trip’s purpose] was getting these students to believe in themselves so they can make graduation happen to then live a successful life,” said Mr. Sillers.