Studies Find Benefits of Doodling in Class

Senior Deyonna McGeachy-Alexander with one of her drawings. While it is colored, she started by sketching it during class. (Photo by Cameron Franks)

For many years now, students have been doodling during classes on worksheets, from Elementary School, up to High School. Teachers, however, even in this day and age still don’t understand it, and oftentimes take things away from those students because they think it’s too much of a distraction. Luckily for those students, a Harvard Health study shows that doodling during class can help them pay attention.

According to Harvard Health, doodling can help students concentrate more easily during classes.

According to Senior Deyonna McGeachy-Alexander, doodling helps her concentrate better when she’s doing work. “If I can doodle a little on the side, then I can usually finish my work.” Not only does it help her finish her work, but she also said that it helps her relax when she’s restless or stressed. “For me, I think just constantly doodling helps me put my nerves at ease if I feel restless,” she says. 

Salem McDaniel says that art also helps her concentrate on what she needs to get done. “It gives me something to do with my hands and eyes so that I can focus more on what I’m hearing. It just kind of keeps me from getting over or under-stimulated. When I do I tend to get pretty rude or shakey,” says Salem. 

For English teacher, Ms. Midgley, anything that helps a student to concentrate is a good thing. “I enjoy doodling. I encourage students to doodle, and I even give them pieces of scratch paper to doodle on, if that’s what helps,” said Ms. Midgley. 

According to the Harvard Study, art has a multitude of benefits for one’s health. Students in this school that doodle can gain all of these benefits, including better concentration, and stress relief.