(Pretend) Violence is Normal

(Pretend) Violence is Normal

Halo, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto. What do they have in common? They’re staples in the game industry that target a younger male demograph­ic. Year after year, they rake in money hand over fist. They also all prominent­ly feature guns.

Like most other males my age, I spent a solid chunk of my childhood glued to the TV screen with a control­ler in my hands. At age eight, I bragged about being the only kid in the school to own God of War, the most graphical­ly violent game of its time. And appar­ently, based on the amount of games being sold, I’m not alone anymore.

Violent video games, TV shows, and even music have become a widespread part of our culture. We live in an age where games centered on murder and crime can become record-breaking, multimillion-dollar successes. Previ­ously traumatizing images of gore and mutilated bodies are nothing more than a Google search away. When something like a shooting happens, the first scapegoat is often videogames.

Eventually, people have to realize that someone didn’t decide to commit unspeakable acts of real-world vio­lence because they copied what they saw or heard in a game, show, or song.

The times have changed, and games, along with violent shows like The Walking Dead, may show vio­lence, but it’s become so saturated in our culture that it is easily distin­guished from real life.

Video games don’t kill people, criminals do. Take some time away from the couch to spend time with friends and go outside, but don’t feel guilty about shooting a few zombies online the next time you’re bored.

$60
$500