50 Years Later, the Current Staff Reflect

Is Wilde Lake Upholding the Rouse Vision?

In 1971, Wilde Lake High School was born under the forward-thinking vision of Jim Rouse’s Columbia. Now, half a century later, staff members with roots at Wilde Lake and Columbia reflect.    

Jim Rouse, a visionary developer of his time, was the father of the planned suburb, Columbia. Rouse did not go into the creation blindly. According to Smithsonian Magazine, Jim Rouse’s vision of Columbia was to create a community where all people could come together no matter race, socioeconomic class, ethnicity, or what would typically make a person “different.”

English teacher Ms. Midgley began teaching at Wilde Lake 26 years ago in 1996. Ms. Midgely, who was once part of a Howard County Committee, says that “in some ways, we may have even gone beyond just upholding it.” 

Mr. Harrison, a math teacher at Wilde Lake and a class of 1992 graduate, says that the Rouse vision has guided Wilde Lake through the years. “We have upheld his vision for him, and having that vision opens up many opportunities for people,” he said. 

This vision can be seen in classrooms, as observed by G/T Research Development teacher Ms. Dixon who started at Wilde Lake in 1990 as a long-term substitute teacher.

Ms. Midgely (Photo courtesy of Ms. Midgely)

“I feel we did try to hold on to the ‘every kid moves on at a different pace,’” said Ms. Dixon. “We have to find what that pace is, and help that student work within that pace and give them the support that they need so they can get the most that they can out of their high school career.”

Being a member of the Wilde Lake community has taught long-time members lessons and provided them with more than just a job or education.

“We can live together as a community if we build our structures to get closer to each other and be who we are as a community,’ said Ms. Midgely. “I think that’s lovely.”

And a strong sense of community has been a constant over time. In recent years, with the arrival of Ms. Leonard as principal, the school is an “Ohana,” a Hawaiian word that refers to a person’s extended family, which can include friends and other important social groups.  

“[Wilde Lake] has been a place where I found amazing colleagues, and out of that, developed great friendships,” said Ms. Dixon. 

Since 2009, Wilde Lake has been teaching Ms. Harrison valuable lessons. Ms. Harrison attended Wilde Lake as a student until she graduated in 2013 and has returned as a math teacher like her dad, Mr. Harrison. 

“I learned that acceptance and treating others with respect is the most important part of this community and makes us one of the most diverse schools because of it,” said Ms. Harrison.

Wilde Lake is ranked number three in “2022 Most Diverse High Schools in Howard County” from Niche. 

Mr. Harrison says that the school’s uniqueness and a nod to upholding the Rouse vision also lie in the diversity of the school. “[Rouse’s] vision is definitely a part of how Wilde Lake is diverse, and it is definitely more diverse than most other Columbia schools,” he said. 

Ms. Harrison believes that the community needs to “understand our community’s diversity” in order to fully understand the Rouse vision.

Jim Rouse’s vision has been a part of Wilde Lake and its policy since the very beginning, playing a role in the wide diversity of the school. “You get to go to school with kids who are unlike you and whose experiences are unlike yours,” said Ms. Midgely. “I see that as real strength.”

Math teacher Ms. Harrison (Photo by LifeTouch Photography)