Behind the Scenes of The Brother’s Grimm Spectaculathon

Behind the Scenes of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

To the average person, the school play is just actors on a stage, but the drama experience is also about what goes on behind the scenes, with the crew.

The tech crew is the group of people work behind the scenes of the show, and they make the sets, costumes, organize the lighting, and many other things like that.

Those who decide to to join cast or crew end up spending most of their time after school with one another, so it is not a surprise that new friendships are made.

“I really like the community we form, it’s fun yet exhausting to stay until 11 o’clock some nights,” said stage manager Maggie Lewis.

There is many weekends, and weeknights where the volunteer students put in hours of work, all of it because they love what they are doing and who they are doing it with.

“It seemed like fun and I wanted to be a part of such a great department, everyone was cool, nice, and really friendly,” said Kate Giammalvo, a second year crew member, on why she joined.

From costumes to carpentry, the artistic and expressive work required of crew members in theater varies greatly from year to year. “Last year it was dark and heavy,” said sophomore Kate Loughlin, head of makeup and hair crew, talking about what they did for makeup during the fall play, “This year is more basic and modern.”

Giammalvo described how she feels about paint, “I like to do something different, the way we paint is different than something you would do in a regular art class.”

“It’ grueling work, and a lot of being quick on your feet, but it’s different from anything else,” said Lewis.

Director Ms. Adler is greatly looking forward to this year’s The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon and the how the tech crew is going to bring the background to life.  She describes the play as “a big mash-up of original fairy tales, with modern references like a big playground of medieval set pieces.”

Donate to The Paw Print
$75
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wilde Lake High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.