Culture Day Changes Reflect Rift Between Students and Administration

Written By: Carmen Freeman and Misbah Farooqi

This year, Culture Day was presented to students in a pep-rally style assembly, during a two hour long 6th period in which half of all 6th period classes went down during the first hour and the other half went down during the second hour.

Mr. Browder, the staff sponsor of the event, believes that the schedule changes created a more organized and inclusive event.

According to Mr. Browder, in past years, only about half of the students were able to come down, and those that did, often came down multiple times. In addition, the open invite made administration anxious about behavior problems, said Mr. Browder. This year, every student was able to come down and “there were very few problems,” according to Mr. Browder.

“The changes helped the administration keep the flow of things and made it easier to monitor,” said Mr. Crouse.

However, many students believe that they deserve to have day-long events like Culture Day.

“I understand that the changes were made to have a more organized and structured event, but I feel like students should be able to enjoy Culture Day for the whole day. Students and the administration need to start listening to each other and understanding where the other is coming from,” said sophomore Mariana Boully.

Mr. Browder agrees that more changes still need to be made, such as adding more performances with bigger audiences and letting students take more responsibility of organizing and planning the event.

He wants to make sure that the next student sponsor and all of the students involved with Culture Day will continue the tradition and make sure all of the students will continue to enjoy the event.

“When I leave Wilde Lake, I want to know that the tradition won’t cease to exist. I want to ensure that the students will be able to have Culture Day for many years to come,” said Mr. Browder.

Mr. Browder hopes to work with the SGA next year to ensure that the student concerns are heard.

$75
$500