Shane Nelson: A Cardinal Turned Wildecat

“Calvert Hall is just a team, but at Wilde Lake we’re a family,” said Shane Nelson, the new kid from Calvert Hall, who has gained instant fame as the star receiver for the Wilde Lake varsity football team.

Nelson attended Calvert Hall, one of the top private schools in the state of Maryland, but decided to relocate his senior year to Wilde Lake. Nelson was the leading receiver and top scorer on the football team.

Though Maryland private schools are more successful in giving players college recognition and success, shown by the mass of players sent to the top football schools in the country and across the NFL, Nelson decided to move to public school.

“All the players and coaches help me improve to get to the level I need to reach,” said Nelson.

With the second most receiving yards in the county, and the sixth most in the state, Shane Nelson has become one of the best receivers in the state. Nelson has 540 receiving yards on 33 targets, with an impressive 16.4 yards per reception. In addition, he has tacked on 8 touchdowns so far this season.  Nelson also has 2 interceptions, both in the team’s win against Atholton.

“His game is very selfless,” said Coach Burke, “he’s all about the team and working to benefit the team, not just himself.”

Nelson’s selflessness and hardworking attitude has made him known as a leader by his coaches.

“Shane is one of the most hard working players. He’s very committed to improving his game,” said Coach Penn.

Nelson also had personal goals for this season. He worked towards being the leading receiver in the county and making First-Team All County. Nelson made some standout plays to set him apart from the rest of the county. This past season, Nelson recorded an impressive 91-yard touchdown against the Howard defense and a leaping touchdown catch over two Marriotts Ridge defenders.

15812676925_ab5fca6c5d_o

Donate to The Paw Print
$75
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wilde Lake High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.