Teacher Evaluations Affected by Student Performance

News SymbolThis year, teachers will be evaluated on their teaching effectiveness through student improvement, according to eleventh grade Assistant Principal Ms. Foyles.

Last year’s policy assessed teachers based on planning and preparation, and overall instruction. This year, 50 percent of a teacher’s evaluation is based on fulfillment of teacher responsibilities, and 50 percent is based on student growth.

The change in teacher evaluations is not a concern for most students. Senior Matt Goldie is confident in his teachers’ ability to teach. “I’m not worried. I’m sure teachers will be fair. Part of what makes a good teach- er a good teacher is being able to effectively motivate students,” says Goldie.

Despite the risk of being inaccurately represented by student grades, teachers, for the most part, have a positive outlook.

Ms. Pennington, a social studies teacher, feels rushed to meet deadlines, but is mostly in favor of the change.

“It’ll be alright. It’s a good idea because teachers should be able to prove student growth with data,” said Ms. Pennington. “As a teacher, the timing isn’t perfect. The dead- lines feel rushed, but [the evaluations] will be more objective and clear.”

Mr. LeMon is understands that their will be an adjustment period. “To be honest, we’ve never done this,” said Mr. LeMon. “It will be a learning experience for everyone.”

$75
$500