More Technology is Needed in Classrooms

More Technology is Needed in Classrooms

Ever since the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policy was implemented in Howard County at the beginning of this school year, students using their cell phones has become a commonality within classrooms.
This year, more and more teachers have been planning assignments and activities that require a cell phone but some students don’t have cell phones to use in class. There’s usually a single computer that exists in most classrooms but it is always for the teacher.
Now that classes are more computer based, all students should have internet access and one way that this could be possible is the use of iPads in classrooms.
People may think that the capacity is limited on an iPad–that it’s not technically a computer. However, an AP U.S History class at Wilde Lake uses iPads for completing classwork, homework and researching information.
In this class, students not only use them for information, they also collaborate on major projects and classwork assignments using Facetime by talking to kids who take the same class but, go to different schools.
An iPad Mini’s price tag is about $269 retail whereas PC and Mac desktop computers can cost up to $1500 more than an iPad. A lab of iPads would be around $35,000 less than a lab of Mac computers for a class of 35 students. Four teachers could have a lab of iPads for the same amount as one lab of Mac computers.
Furthermore, an iPad is lighter and requires less power to run than a desktop. Even high school students can carry them with one hand, so they can move around the classroom for group work more easily. A lab of iPads would be smaller and therefore easy to store and easier to move from classroom to classroom.
Students would have less trouble charging them, too. iPads can’t be bogged down by software, so they are naturally virus free and will experience less crashing and speed issues.
If iPad’s started to become provided for more classes, students who don’t have technology to bring in and use for class will have a chance to easily participate. More iPads will also help students get their work done more efficiently.

$75
$500