Communication is the Foundation of a Great School

In order for a school to be successful, the students and administrators all need to understand one another’s perspectives and communicate those perspectives with one another. Unfortunately, we don’t always see this happening at Wilde Lake.
While our administration and students all do an excellent job at what they do, they often don’t see eye-to-eye. This makes sense, since they all have different goals and perspectives on issues in the school. While the administration may want to keep things organized, the students may want whatever was best for them.
However, we don’t always communicate over differing views with one another, and this leads to problems and disagreements among us.
For example, earlier this year, the Culture Day schedule changes caused a disagreement between the students and the administration because there was a lack of communication between the two and neither tried to understand each other’s views. The students needed to understand that the changes happened in order to create a more organized event, while the administration needed to recognize that the students should be trusted with the freedom to have day-long events like Culture Day to help boost school spirit and moral.
Before making controversial decisions that affect the students, the administration should take the student opinion into account. One way of doing this would be to reach out to student leadership groups, such as the SGA or NHS, and ask them about student opinion. If the administration reached out to more students, more ideas would be conversed and more would get done to benefit the student body.
But it isn’t just up to the administration to create positive change. If students want to have a voice and improve Wilde Lake, they need to start taking things more seriously. Rather than bashing the administration or not communicating with those in charge, students should reach out to the administration or student leadership groups with their ideas and thoughts.
The only way for students to have their voices heard is to reach out and communicate, so if the SGA asks you to fill out a survey or an administrator asks your opinion on something, give them an honest, serious answer or nothing will change.
The Paw Print is also a great way for students and administrators to get their opinions account. If students and administrators have a message for the rest of the school, then they can write a letter to the editor expressing their perspective on an issue.
Communication is the foundation of a successful school, and more of it will help us make Wilde Lake better.

$75
$500